Thursday, July 3, 2008

Fleeced by the Movie Theatre

Kyle and I decided to take a break from the constant drilling today and take in a couple of movies at the theater. Now, when you go early in the day, it's supposed to be "cheaper", right? Right. How is $6.50/ticket a bargain?! It cost us $26 to see 2 movies! And then prior to the movie starting, we had to endure 6 commercials BEFORE THE PREVIEWS!! Why are we being charged MORE to see a movie, when they are obviously making more money by having commercials AND charging a gazillion dollars for popcorn, drinks, and candy?

But I digress...

We went to see two movies, and here are my thoughts:

Get Smart
VERY funny! This will be bought when the DVD comes out. Steve Carrell (sp?) did a fabulous job, and the nods to Don Adams from the original TV series were brilliant! Anne Hathaway did a great job as Agent 99, and the on-screen chemistry with Steve was great! Very cute! Some of it may not be terribly appropriate for younger kids, but those over 15 or so should be fine.

Wanted
When we walked out of the movie, I looked at my husband and said, "You are so dead after making me see this." He truly thought that it was going to be some sort of super hero movie, but I say nay nay. While the storyline and premise were actually pretty good, the execution (no pun intended) of the movie was less than fabulous. There was way too much violence and dropping of the f-bomb for my taste. I had my eyes covered for a good portion of the movie b/c it was just too much.

So yeah, I'm totally making him watch "Fool's Gold" tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to know. I though "Get Smart" looked kinda like Steve Martin's "The Pink Panther". Glad to hear that you liked it.

Prodigal Jon said...

Tara -
First of all, congrats on being the featured reader on pop candy. that is very cool.

Second of all, thanks so much for listing my site as one of your favorites. I really appreciate that.
Jon